Outcome: The sub-department will be created as stated in option 3. RB elections should be held soon, with 3 spots opening up as there will be two needed for UR and one to replace the current RB who will be promoted to Admin.
In the last Admin Team Meeting I brought up the idea of creating a new department within the Admin Team. The Department would resemble an older department that we used to have called User Relations, with some critical modifications.
The new department would focus on RPing and helping new users integrate into the wiki. Recently, some users that have tried to join the wiki have stated that they did not feel very welcome and that nobody bothered to say hi or offer to RP with them, and it wasn't just a single case. There were mutiple cases of this. However, this is not all UR would do, because in theory that should be the job of every deptartment. This new department would also be tasked with promoting the wiki and getting new members to join. They would find affilates, and generally just promote the wiki.
And it doesn't stop there, though this part I'm gonna put up to a vote. This department wouldn't have a crat, but would only have an admin and two RBs. This is because they would answer to the other three crats as this department would help out with the other three departments on top of doing their own jobs. They would be able to sort, GM, be skilled coders and assist OOC with that (and the new users as well!).
So, in total there are three ways you can vote:
- Against the creations of this department as a whole, and things would stay the same. (No promotions)
- For the creation of this department but they would have a crat, and wouldn't help the other three departments. (One crat promotion, one admin promotion, one RB promotion)
- For the whole proposal (One admin promotion, two RB promotions)
Proposal 1 (Completely Against) (+3)
- I don't think that there's really a need for this department at all. It was originally taken away because of the redundancy in other departments, and the fact that it was utilized. All members of the admin team should already be working to welcome new users and do what they can to get them started and integrated. Should an entire department really be created when members of the admin team members should already be doing the proposed things? Why not focus on getting our current admin members to do better at these things and strengthening the team we already have? As it is, we currently do have an influx, or even a consistent stream of new users, so is there really a need right now to establish a new department if we're only getting a few new users? I think this shifts the focus of other things that need the man power to things that should already be done. Promoting more users could go to supporting the other departments and the tasks they need to be doing, rather then to trying to get a new department consisting of duties from the existing departments and their members. we should all be trying to RP with new users and helping them out.The creation of a department that has already been dissolved due to ineffectiveness seems like a waste of resources and manpower.
-You are, and always have been,my dream. I love you more than there are stars in the sky and fish in the sea. 22:25, February 4, 2017 (UTC)
- I think that Carn has brought a lot of good ideas to the table, so I'm in no way attacking him or anybody else who finds it to be a good idea. However, I personally don't agree. I believe that changing the name of the already existing department to "User Relations" could make the department seem a bit more user friendly, because perhaps "Out-Of-Character" isn't really quite clear enough? At least, it wasn't really to me at the beginning. I know that it confused me, as a newbie just starting out on the wiki. Especially since "OOC" is defined differently depending on where you go for RPing. So, that may or may not be something that we do, but I'm fond of that thought. However, we shouldn't need a whole new department for something that every member of the Administration needs to be doing. It's no longer a department, because the idea of "User Relations" is something that anybody and everybody should be doing as a member of the team. I'll admit that sometimes I've fallen short on continuing roleplays (something that we've all done one time or another though), but I've always at the very least tried to offer help with people's pages and templates when they've needed it. It's important that everybody is doing this though and I know that many people try to. Besides, lot of what you're proposing is something that's already the task of the Out-Of-Character department, if not everybody. So, if we're giving all these duties from one department to another...then we're kind of losing the purpose of OOC, aren't we? Then, we'll just have to delete that department. It's not like OOC is doing that much as is. They're occasionally coding or archiving, handling elections and promotions, and taking care of any relations with users (by which I mean helping them join the wiki and learning the policies of such). It's a rare opportunity that they get to do that as is, so why just move that into an entirely different department? I don't really understand it. User Relations was deleted originally for a reason and there still doesn't seem to be a reason to bring it back. It seems that we could easily just promote this kind of behavior in our current Administration. I'm sorry for typing so much, but I'm having a bit of a long train of thought at the moment. I'm not trying to come off as "ranting" or anything. - and i look just about ghastly in black. 23:14, February 4, 2017 (UTC)
- You know, instead of creating a department focused on roleplaying with new users, just get a volunteer base from the regular users. You could make a rolplay forum page or something where users, especially new users, could put their character's name and basic info and maybe what kind of rp they're looking for, and then these volunteers or anyone else could just be like "hey, what's up, let's rp" I think it would have to be open to all users though, since there is no clear way to tell when a user stops being "new". New users can get priority, of course--say, users who have one or two characters get the focus of the volunteer rper group and other users are just...there. Naturally, this would need to be more advetised than the "characters for adoption" and "wanted characters list"-- which should both be advertised more, say...on the sorting pages or something. The roleplay advert forum could be linked in the approved/sorting templates so every user sees it. tl;dr: promotions and a new department are extra effort that isn't necessary. just get a volunteer group of helper users who will focus on helping/rping with new users and make a wanted roleplays page for anyone to access. Also, to me it would seem more welcoming to have a team of volunteer users than people whose job it is to pay attention to me. Give some stuff back to the regular users--you don't have to have admin priveleges to help or have ideas. I feel like this is a common complaint, since every time there's an admin ruckus it's because of a lack of communication or op or something, and here you go doing it again.12:18, February 6, 2017 (UTC)
Proposal 2 (For Crat Promotion and against Generalists) (+0)
Proposal 3 (Completly For) (+13)
- I've personally talked with users who tried to join DARP once (some a couple more), I know for a fact it's hard to feel integrated in the community. While I get what Lyss is trying to say, we could have the admin team become stronger by reminding them to be welcoming and supportive, there's no guarantee it'll happen. Why not give this new "department" - which to be fair, seems more like a sub-department, if that makes sense? - a trial run? See if it's more effective in bringing in new users and helping them feel more welcome? CHB has a thriving userbase, partly because of their own department similar to what Carn proposed. I see no harm in giving this a shot. It wouldn't hurt anyone, right? We could give it a period of time and - if it fails - it could be dissolved again. It could be - so to say - a more specific branch of OOC, though if it's anything like Carn said, it's more generalized. Like CHB's helpers, yes? I get some people are worried about the "lack of manpower", but if you think about it, this may benefit the community in the long run. If we see it isn't working/doing anything? Like I said, it could be dissolved. But we won't fix any problems if we don't think outside the box and try new things. DARP needs some reforming, and I feel this is a good way to start. The current departments have enough on their plate, I feel this would help. A lot. - jayemalik'
- Once upon a time, I was part of UR. But that is irrelevant. Anyway, I am all for bringing it back. Although, if I read this right... would User Relations be a fitting name? Just wondering. Let's find a light inside our universe now; When ain't nobody keep on holding us down; Just come in, get in, let them say what they say; Cause I'm about to put them all away
- A very long time ago, I tried re-joining DARP on a completely different account. It was definitely eye-opening seeing as I finally experienced the whole newbie experience people used to talk about in chat where no one wants to RP with you and you have to initiate every conversation. While there were some users who were nice, I think it'd be cool to have this department exist again, whether as its own thing or a more specific branch of an existing department. Like, you know how there's Sorting and Stores? There could be OOC and User Relations. Or it could be a not-so-official department thing. I don't know. Point is, it should exist one way or another. PaintedRed (talk) 00:18, February 5, 2017 (UTC)
- "It's the Mortal Cup, Jace, not the Mortal Toilet Bowl."
- I'm definitely for this. I know all too well what its like being a new user on here. There's a lack of people willing to roleplay with you because they already have a group to roleplay with. Which isnt their fault at all! Everyone likes sticking to what they know! Whilst every member should be doing this anyway, an entire department that is there to get people started on their roleplay's? And to encourage people to join DARP? Its definitely an idea at least worth considering. And if it doesnt work it doesnt work, it could quite easily be gotten rid of again couldn't it? I am here , I am with you
- 연락 좀 해 바보야 – twice, three times a day
- It resembles Aid and Support so I'm all for it
- Eh, sounds cool ^^
- While I agree with the essence of what has been said above the problem is that we aren't doing that and any effort we can make would be really well appreciated.
- REDIRECT Template:Omnia Lesvos/sigreal
- I guess I didn't realize how much of a difference this would make to some people, and I've been thinking about it more. If it really means a lot to so many people on the wiki, I definitely want to be able to make it happen and do what we can to make the wiki better as awhole. I see what people are saying, and I guess, why not give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but there's always the chance that it could. Im stil not necssacarily for an entire department on it's own, epsecially since a crat wouldn't be heading it. But I did like what was mentioned about making it a division of OOC, but just kind of did their own thing seperate of the rest of the department, being really lead by the admin in charge of it, but could still rely on the rest of the department if they need help. Anyways, I'm definitely willing to support this idea since it's been shown that it is something that people want. :) You are, and always have been,my dream. I love you more than there are stars in the sky and fish in the sea. 21:18, February 6, 2017 (UTC)